Thursday, February 4, 2010

book review

I think Choppersun is a good book to read, if you want to know what it feels like to be a slave. It gives you good imagery of what happens to the slaves when they do something wrong by details. It’s pretty sad what happens to some of the characters! Has a Coretta Scott king author award! This book is about a slave in the 1700s that’s been taken away from her family and her beloved boyfriend. They where supposed to get marred when she turned 16. It explores many aspects of slavery beyond the african experience, including indentured servants and the status of women in the past. Most of the historical information is horribly disturbing! I have never heard of Fort Mose! I’m glad that there is a place where slaves and indentured servants can find refuge.

1 comment:

  1. I had never heard of Fort Mose either until I read Sharon Draper's book. What would the three have done without Fort Mose? They would obviously been caught if they had run North like so many others. Good observation on your part. I appreciate the time you put into reading Copper Sun and working on our project.

    ReplyDelete